Wednesday, February 22, 2012

Strawberry Jam

Yes I'm at it again.....making jam

I love the fact that because I make my own I don't have to buy it from the supermarket. I'm able to reuse the same jars over and over again . I'm not using any artificial preservatives or additives. AND I'm saving money - what could be better than that.

I'm lucky enough that the guy down the road every season sells strawberries for as little as 4 punnets for $5.00, they are locally grown and they are of a very good quality.

Recipe:
Ingredients
900grams of Strawberries - stems removed, cut into quarters depending on size
4 C of sugar
1/4 C of Lemon Juice

Method:
In a heavy bottomed saucepan, mix together the strawberries, sugar, and lemon juice.
** as the fruit begins to soften you can either a masher or a stick mixer to break up the fruit.
Stir over low heat until the sugar is dissolved - dissolved completely
Increase heat to high, and bring the mixture to a full rolling boil for 15-20mins and then see if it has reach it's setting point.
* Remove and scum that forms on the top before putting into clean jars.

Sterlising jars and other tips:
Now i'm not huge on following the rules exactly and I've read on different websites that as long as the jars have been cleaned thoroughly beforehand then you don't have to sterilise them just before use, as the hot jam will do that job.
Another trick someone showed me is to turn the jars upside down not to only to check for leaks but to also again to sterlised the lid. According to some sites it also means you don't have to put the jam through a hot water bath.
If you don't get that sealed dip on your lid it doesn't necessarily mean it's not sealed properly as any leaks would have become visual when you turn the jars upside down. I have found no problems with mould etc even after the jam has been in storage for over a year



No comments:

Post a Comment