Saturday, November 7, 2009

Baking Challenge 1 - Chocolate Caramel Slice


As it was my youngest and last child's birthday I wanted to bake him something he really likes to eat - caramel slice. I found a recipe in a magazine and gave it a go. It turn out near enough how it should not bad for my first attempt.

Review: If I was to make this recipe again I would change the base and not use crushed malt biscuits and melted butter - enough said I think ...but they look gooooooooooooooooood and very tasty but it needs to be eaten in small doses which is good for the figure.

Review 2: We didn't try it again until today(day2) and there even better, there is something to be said about the saying it always tastes better the day after or in this case the day after that. A friend of mine who makes it said "it surpassing mine" which is a very humbling and also very flattering. On the way home this arvo I brought more supplies - malt biscuits and condensed cream.

Update: Remember how I said my husband can be very generous with my baking, well he's done it again with the slice and his brother in law likes it very much, but at the same time he can't help making comments - please..bake it yourself next time..lol.

RECIPE:
250g malt biscuits
150g unsalted butter, melted and cooled
395g can of condensed milk
60g unsalted butter, chopped
1/4C brown sugar

Preheat oven 180C and prepare shallow tin 20x30cm (whatever you have on hand)
Crush malt biscuits using a food processor until fine and then add cooled melted butter, bake for 6mins. Set aside to cool
In a saucepan, combing, condensed milk, chopped butter and brown sugar. Stir over a low heat until the butter melts and sugar dissolves. Stir constantly for 12 - 15mins over a low heat or until golden brown and slightly thickened. Pour over the baked biscuit base, bake 10min. Allow to cool and spread over toppping before cutting
Chocolate Topping - 150g chocolate and 20g vege.shortening. Stir until smooth, pour over slice, chill until almost set.
* I took the 2 top layers of a king size bar of dairy milk chocolate and added a bit of canola oil and melted in the microwave and then poured it over the base.

No comments:

Post a Comment