Thursday, February 3, 2011

Simple Savings - War on Debt: February

Simple Savings - War on Debt.
I've decided if I'm going to work towards financial independant I need to start NOW. The other week I printed off the War on Debt calender for 2011. Each month you are faced with a challenge and asked the same three questions but the answers are based on the challenge for that month.

February is: "NO SPEND CHALLENGE" - this will be a tough one for us so I decided to pick one thing that we waste money on and for us that's Takeaways. We are totally guilty of not prepping dinner before we go out.
What will we do? - No takeaways for dinner
How will it improve our lives? Reduce impulse spending and improve our overall health
How will we remember? Discuss what we are going to have the following night and prep what we can before hand.

The story so far.... Week One
Tuesday - Stuffed Peppers, I used the "food in a minute" recipe, very delicious but next time I'll use a meat based filling instead.
Wednesday - Lamb rissoles, coleslaw and potato salad
Thursday - Sliced paua, veges, pasta in white sauce
Friday - Fish and Chip pack (B) $5.50 to go with the left over salad
Saturday - Scrambled egg salad in a bread roll
Sunday - Tomato and Cheese Flan and coleslaw; I adapted a recipe from in the Recipe Mag
** We slipped on Friday but any other week we would have spent way more than $5.50.

REVIEW -
After only one week I feel more in control and it helps having the family on board with the idea. I said to a friend the other day - how can I expect my children to be financial independant if I can't do it myself. I definately not rushing things as it's going to take sometime to break the habits of a lifetime.

No comments:

Post a Comment